In what would have been the 50th year of Rory Gallagher’s recording career, Chess/UMC are pleased to announce the release of ‘BLUES’. From the vaults of the Gallagher estate’s tape archive comes this collection of rare and unreleased recordings of Rory playing his favourite blues material.
Ranging from never heard before tracks to special guest sessions with legendary blues artists (Muddy Waters/Albert King) and lost radio sessions, this album uncovers Rory’s love of the blues throughout his solo career from 1971 right through to 1994.
Formats include a 15 track 1CD/2LP version, limited edition blue vinyl 2LP and a deluxe 36 track 3CD version showcasing Rory’s virtuoso performances of electric, acoustic and live blues. The Deluxe comprises 90% unreleased material and features performances with musical legends such as Muddy Waters, Albert King, Jack Bruce, Lonnie Donegan and Chris Barber. The Deluxe Edition also comes with an extensive booklet comprising previously unseen pictures if Rory plus a new essay by award-winning Blues/Rock writer Jas Obrecht.
BM writer Pete Sargeant gives us the rundown here…
Rory had a sure grip on blues, roots, folk and even jazz styles…in this collection, you can hear all these elements and plenty of steaming rock’n’roll. His enthusiasm and attack are undoubted but the sensitivity is always there. It is no wonder that Rory still influences so many musicians.
The showbiz gimmick merchants never ‘got’ Gallagher, any more than they understood Tom Waits or Ornette Coleman. But stuff the Cowells and Blackburns, leave them to their shallow sphere of pop.
In the latest issue of our magazine, you can read my full chat with Rory’s nephew and producer of these newly discovered tracks, Daniel Gallagher. With the set’s release imminent, we want to acquaint you with the content of the discs, so here goes…
1. Don’t Start Me Talkin’ (Unreleased track from the Jinx album sessions 1982)
2. Nothin’ But The Devil (Unreleased track from the Against The Grain album sessions 1975)
3. Tore Down (Unreleased track from the Blueprint album sessions 1973)
4. Off The Handle (Unreleased session Paul Jones Show BBC Radio 1986)
5. I Could’ve Had Religion (Unreleased WNCR Cleveland radio session from 1972)
6. As the Crow Flies (Unreleased track from Tattoo album sessions 1973)
7. A Million Miles Away (Unreleased BBC Radio 1 Session 1973)
8. Should’ve Learnt My Lesson (Outtake from Deuce album sessions 1971)
9. Leaving Town Blues (Tribute track from Peter Green ‘Rattlesnake Guitar’ 1994)
10. Drop Down Baby (Rory guest guitar on Lonnie Donegan’s “Puttin’ On The Style” album 1978
11. I’m Ready (Guest guitarist on Muddy Waters ‘London Sessions’ album 1971)
12. Bullfrog Blues (Unreleased WNCR Cleveland radio session from 1972)
1. Who’s That Coming (Acoustic outtake from Tattoo album sessions 1973)
2. Should’ve Learnt My Lesson (Acoustic outtake from Deuce album sessions 1971)
3. Prison Blues (Unreleased track from Blueprint album sessions 1973)
4. Secret Agent (Unreleased acoustic version from RTE Irish TV 1976)
5. Blow Wind Blow (Unreleased WNCR Cleveland radio session from 1972)
6. Bankers Blues (Outtake from the Blueprint album sessions 1973)
7. Whole Lot Of People (Acoustic outtake from Deuce album sessions 1971)
8. Loanshark Blues (Unreleased acoustic version from German TV 1987)
9. Pistol Slapper Blues (Unreleased acoustic version from Irish TV 1976)
10. Can’t Be Satisfied (Unreleased Radio FFN session from 1992)
11. Want Ad Blues (Unreleased RTE Radio Two Dave Fanning session 1988).
12. Walkin’ Blues (Unreleased acoustic version from RTE Irish TV 1987)
1. When My Baby She Left Me (Unreleased track from Glasgow Apollo concert 1982)
2. 2. Nothin’ But The Devil (Unreleased track from Glasgow Apollo concert 1982)
3. What In The World (Unreleased track from Glasgow Apollo concert 1982)
4. I Wonder Who (Unreleased live track from the late 1980s)
5. Messin’ With The Kid (Unreleased track from Sheffield City Hall concert 1977)
6. Tore Down (Unreleased track from Newcastle City Hall concert 1977)
7. Garbage Man Blues (Unreleased track from Sheffield City Hall concert 1977)
8. All Around Man (Unreleased track from BBC OGWT Special 1976)
9. Born Under A Bad Sign (Unreleased track from Rockpalast 1991 w/ Jack Bruce)
10. You Upset Me (Unreleased guest performance from Albert King album ‘Live’ 1975)
11. Comin’ Home Baby (Unreleased track from 1989 concert with Chris Barber Band)
12. Rory Talking Blues (Interview track of Rory talking about the blues)
…so now you know…what a treat for Gallagher fans, with 90% content new to us fans!
By Pete Sargeant
For More Info – Rory Gallagher